The Pentax 645Z features a 43.8 x 32.8 mm CMOS sensor with 51.4 effective megapixels. The sensor is designed without an anti-aliasing filter to maximize sharpness and details. RAW files can be recorded at 14-bit and saved using either the proprietary PEF format or Adobe’s DNG format.
An ISO range from 100-204,800 and high S/N ratio provides low noise, low light capability, and the Prime III image processor lends itself to fast image capture with a maximum of 3 fps continuous shooting. The SAFOX II autofocus module utilizes 27 autofocus points including 25 cross-type sensors and 3 AF sensors dedicated for low light focusing. The new Real Time Scene Analysis System features an 86,000 pixel RGB light-metering sensor for enhanced accuracy of exposure, white balance, and auto-focusing.
Full HD 1080 60i/30p/24p video capture is supported in the H.264 format with a dedicated button for instant switchover from stills to video. An external microphone jack enables high quality audio recording with manual sound level control and monitoring. An HDMI port outputs HD images to HDTVs and a USB 3.0 jack enables fast image transfer to your computer. Interval recording for time-lapse videos is supported with an output of UHD 4K resolution.
A 3.2″, 1037k-dot, tilting, air-gapless, LCD monitor enables live view composition and playback viewing from a various angles and a trapezoid-shaped glass prism viewfinder with Kepler telescope-type eyepiece unit provides traditional eye-level composition. The design of the viewfinder also helps to achieve the relatively compact size of this medium format camera. The 645Z is extremely durable with an aluminum alloy chassis, magnesium alloy shell, and 76 specific weather seals to keep out moisture and dust. It is a camera designed for field as well as studio and can operate in temperatures from 14-104°F.
The camera body also features a deep set ergonomic grip, ideal for hand-held shooting, easy-to-access buttons, and a top-plate, sub-LCD screen that is angled up for easier visibility of camera information. A hot shoe mount is supported, and in addition to the tripod socket on the camera’s base, a second tripod socket is located on the side of the camera for convenient and stable tripod shooting in the vertical position. Two SD slots are provided for versatile image storage and both Flucards and Eye-Fi cards are compatible for wireless image transfer. A free plug-in is available for seamless tethered shooting support in conjunction with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, along with the USB 3.0 output for fast performance.
The 645Z is compatible with the new FA autofocus lenses as well as older 645 lenses and with Pentax 67 medium format lenses when used with an adapter.
- Customizable RAW/Fx button for direct access to a common shooting settings.
- An HDMI port outputs high definition images, video and sound to HDTVs.
- USB 3.0 output for high speed data transmission.
- Mirror dampening hardware minimizes the effect of camera shake and noise levels during the image capture process.
- A second tripod socket on the camera’s side enables convenient and stable vertical tripod-mounted shooting.
- The sub LCD on the camera’s top plate is angled for better visibility of camera setting information.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting mode with RAW-format data filing.
- A free Pentax Tethered Capture Plug-In is available for tethered in shooting conjunction with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and its associated mobile apps. The camera must be updated to firmware version 1.21 or later in order to support tethered shooting with this plug-in.
Be the first to review “Pentax 645Z Medium Format DSLR Camera”